Tangy Sloppy Joes
“I first tasted this recipe at a rehearsal dinner for a church Christmas program about 20 years ago,” writes Sharon De Roos of Elgin, Illinois. “It's the best sloppy joe mix that I have ever had and I receive many compliments, and of course, requests for the recipe!”
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are
- tender; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, chili sauce, sugars, vinegar, mustard, salt and
- pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15
- minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 331 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 1,180 mg sodium,