- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the ketchup, chili sauce, sugars, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tangy Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"Great recipe! I liked that it called for chili sauce, gave it just a slight tang. Even though I doubled the recipe, it was quickly eaten by a group of hungry teenagers! As a volunteer food editor for Taste of Home, I enjoy making recipes that can be quickly assembled with ingredients I have on hand."
"Love it! It's a family favorite - will never use canned again!"
"I made sloppy joes for years from the Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys & Girls recipe, but wanted to get away from using tomato soup. Have been trying many recipes, and my husband really likes this one--he said it has more "zip". So I will make this one now--thanks!"
"We love this recipe. Even our daughter who doesn't like this type of meal requests these often."
"These were so good! I didn't have any chili sauce on hand, so I substituted it for 4 TB of steak sauce. I really like how the celery gave the sloppy joes an extra crunch! Oh, I also added a binch of cayenne pepper, to give it more zip."