You'd never guess that a pair of these colorful kabobs has only 2g of fat total! An easy tomato-based mixture is used as a marinade and basting sauce to add just the right amount of sweet-sour taste to the shrimp, pineapple and veggies. —Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 pearl onions
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, Italian dressing, brown sugar, mustard and reserved pineapple juice. Pour 3/4 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture for sauce.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 2 minutes. Add peppers and boil 2 minutes longer. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel onions. Refrigerate vegetables until ready to grill.
- In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup of reserved tomato sauce mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Keep warm.
- Drain and discard marinade. On 12 metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread shrimp and vegetables; place on greased grill rack. Cook, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, basting occasionally with remaining tomato sauce mixture. Drizzle kabobs with warm sauce. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Shrimp Kabobs in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tangy Shrimp Kabobs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review