Tangy Rhubarb Chutney Recipe
My mother-in-law shared with me a great chutney recipe that I experiment with by changing the fruits. This version is a bit different, but I love the pear, onion and rhubarb combination. The longer it sets, the better it tastes! —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium pears, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, brown sugar, vinegar, onion, raisins, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, salt, curry and nutmeg. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add pears. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until pears are tender. Cool to room temperature. Stir in mint. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. May be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Tangy Rhubarb Chutney in Taste of Home April/May 2006, p29
Reviews for Tangy Rhubarb Chutney(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review