Tangy Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Minced fresh parsley or parsley sprigs, optional
- 1. Place cabbage in a large bowl, cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside. Stir the vinegar, sugar, dill seed and salt into drippings until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Stir in cabbage, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender. stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 cup: 179 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein .
Reviews for Tangy Red Cabbage
"Only thing I changed was I used 3/4c vinegar instead of 1c.Will definitely make again."