Tangy Red Cabbage Recipe
I often make Christmas dinners for the elderly ladies of our church who live alone. Many are of German descent and look forward to this traditional cabbage dish. —Joan Solberg, Ashland, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Minced fresh parsley or parsley sprigs, optional
- 1. Place cabbage in a large bowl, cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside. Stir the vinegar, sugar, dill seed and salt into drippings until sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Stir in cabbage, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender. stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 179 calories, 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC