I often make Christmas dinners for the elderly ladies of our church who live alone. Many are of German descent and look forward to this traditional cabbage dish. —Joan Solberg, Ashland, Wisconsin
Recommended: 62 Ways to Eat the Rainbow
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Minced fresh parsley or parsley sprigs, optional
- Place cabbage in a large bowl, cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside. Stir the vinegar, sugar, dill seed and salt into drippings until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cabbage, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender. stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Red Cabbage in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p80
Reviews for Tangy Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 6, 2011
"Only thing I changed was I used 3/4c vinegar instead of 1c.Will definitely make again."