- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Minced fresh parsley or parsley sprigs, optional
- Place cabbage in a large bowl, cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside. Stir the vinegar, sugar, dill seed and salt into drippings until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cabbage, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender. stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Red Cabbage in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p80
Reviews for Tangy Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 6, 2011
"Only thing I changed was I used 3/4c vinegar instead of 1c.Will definitely make again."