This recipe came from Germany, where it was passed down through our family. My grandmother made it for me when I was a child...my mother modified it...and I added my own touches. It still has authentic German flavor, and it's in demand for every cookout or potluck we attend!
- 12 medium red potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes. Cool completely.
- Transfer to a large salad bowl. Stir in the onion, eggs, pickles and parsley; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth just until warm; remove from the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise, salt, pepper and garlic powder until blended.
- Pour over potato mixture; lightly toss to coat. Cover and chill. Just before serving, gently stir in tomatoes and bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Potato Salad in Reminisce Extra June 1993, p51
Reviews for Tangy Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review