Tangy Potato Cubes
A large collection of cookbooks is handy for reference, but I never follow a recipe exactly. I have more fun modifying them to suit my tastes.Dave Fisher, Ten Mile, Tennessee
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 7 medium potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
- 7 bacon strips
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- tender. Drain. Cool; peel and cut into cubes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to
- paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onions
- in the drippings until tender. Add the potatoes, bacon, broth,
- vinegar and seasonings; stir gently. Cover and simmer until heated
- through, about 5 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 160 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.