Tangy Pork Loin Roast Recipe
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- GRAVY (not shown):
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1. Combine garlic powder, mustard, marjoram and salt; rub over roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven; drain. Combine grapefruit juice, brown sugar, grapefruit peel and mace; pour half over roast. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with remaining juice mixture. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 2. Stir drippings in pan to loosen brown bits; pour into a measuring cup. Skim off fat; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Add enough cold water to remaining drippings to measure 2 cups; set aside. Place flour in a saucepan; stir in reserved drippings until blended. Gradually stir in reserved liquid until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add grapefruit. Serve with the roast. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (with 2-1/2 tablespoons gravy) equals 304 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 393 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 41 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1 fat.