Tangy Pork Chops Recipe
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. Place chops in a 3-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt if desired and pepper. Add the onions, celery, green pepper and tomatoes. Combine the ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and bouillon; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into liquid in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and no-salt-added stewed tomatoes and ketchup; without salt and rice) equals 227 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.