Tangy Pork Barbecue Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (28 ounces) ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 boneless pork loin roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 12 sandwich buns, split
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Add ketchup, water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, onion, garlic and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add roast. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 3 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 2. Remove roast; shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices; return meat to pan and heat through. Using a slotted spoon, place mixture on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup (prepared with margarine and no-salt-added ketchup and without salt: 245 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Tangy Pork Barbecue
"Had a good flavor, but like all the other BBQ recipes I have tried, the sauce comes out the consistency of water by the time the meat has cooked in it. I was hopeful that with the flour added to this sauce that wouldn't happen."