Tangy Oven Chili Recipe
Meet the Cook: Frankly, I never cared much for chili. But my husband, Pat, likes it. So I just played around with ingredients until I came up with one I enjoyed - this one! Pat and I are the parents of a pair of sons and the grandparents of five. -Sue O'Connor, Lucan, Ontario
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 envelopes chili seasoning mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 to 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 cans (11-1/2 ounces each) V8 juice
- 1. Rinse beans and place in a large kettle or Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until softened. Drain, discarding liquid; set beans aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onions and green pepper over medium heat until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in seasoning mixes, salt and pepper. Pour into an ovenproof 8-qt. Dutch oven. Add beans and remaining ingredients; mix well. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- 3. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 4-5 hours or until beans are tender, stirring every 30 minutes. Yield: 18-20 servings (5 quarts).
1 cup: 198 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 595mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 15g protein.
Reviews for Tangy Oven Chili
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC