Tangy Onion Flowers Recipe
"These flavorful baked onions are a great accompaniment to grilled meat," writes field editor Karen Owen of Rising Sun, Indiana. "They aren't crisp like the deep-fried 'blooming onions' served in restaurants, but we think they are equally delicious."
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed fat-free salad croutons
- 1. Place the onions root end up on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert onto a cutting board. Slice each onion into eight wedges to within 1/2 in. of bottom; fan out. Place each onion on a 12-in. square piece of foil coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush some over onions; set remaining mixture aside. Fold foil around onions; seal tightly.
- 3. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully. Place onions on a serving platter. Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 4 onions (8 servings).
1/2 each: 48 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 vegetable
Reviews for Tangy Onion Flowers
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC