Tangy Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Crumble beef into a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, salt, basil and oregano. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 6-8 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 3 cups.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Tangy Meat Sauce
Sort By :
"This is my go to all time favorite spaghetti sauce. I always double or even triple it so we have extra to freeze. My girls are quite picky and this is their FAVE!!!!"
"I have made this meat sauce for years. Just today I couldn't find my tattered copy ripped from the magazine and went online in search of it. I'm very glad to have found it. This sauce is a bit on the sweet side, but my family and day care kids love it. I usually have to make a triple batch if I want to have any leftovers. This one's a keeper!"
"Very good. Nice and thick. Easy to make."
"I used ground turkey and cider vinegar (just what I had) and made it on the stove and it was really good. My boyfriend and I both liked it. It has a bit of a different flavor than regular sauce (I guess that's the tangy), but we'd definitely have it again."
"I cannot wait to try this recipe, minus the green peppers."