Tangy Meat Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Crumble beef into a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, stirring frequently; drain.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, salt, basil and oregano. Cover and microwave at 70% power for 6-8 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 3 cups.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Tangy Meat Sauce
Sort By :
I have made this meat sauce for years. Just today I couldn't find my tattered copy ripped from the magazine and went online in search of it. I'm very glad to have found it. This sauce is a bit on the sweet side, but my family and day care kids love it. I usually have to make a triple batch if I want to have any leftovers. This one's a keeper!
Very good. Nice and thick. Easy to make.
I used ground turkey and cider vinegar (just what I had) and made it on the stove and it was really good. My boyfriend and I both liked it. It has a bit of a different flavor than regular sauce (I guess that's the tangy), but we'd definitely have it again.
I cannot wait to try this recipe, minus the green peppers.
I haven't made the receipe yet, but it looks like something we would like; however, I will prepare it on the stovetop rather than microwave.