Tangy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, corn syrup, lemon peel and extracts. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into three balls, then flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. fluted round cookie cutter. Using a floured spatula, place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps if desired.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 82 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 41 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Tangy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.