Tangy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies Recipe
My family of lemon lovers has a weakness for these refreshing cookies. The poppy seeds add nuttiness to the tangy treats.Carol Owen, Salina, KS
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, corn syrup, lemon peel and extracts. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into three balls, then flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. fluted round cookie cutter. Using a floured spatula, place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps if desired.
- Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies in Country Woman October/November 2009, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tangy Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Lemon Cookies >
- Low Carb Desserts >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >