This is such an easy pie to make, you will be able to prepare it in no time at all. It is even fancy enough to serve to guests and they will be so impressed!—Taste of Home Cooking School, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Fresh raspberries and mint leaves
- Lemon slices
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand 2 minutes to soften. Add 1/2 cup sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed about 5 minutes or until pale yellow. Gradually drizzle hot gelatin mixture into yolks, beating constantly. Return yolk mixture to same saucepan. Stir in lemon juice. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens and bubbles around the edges, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine cream, food coloring if desired and remaining sugar. Beat a high speed until soft peaks form. Add cooled lemon mixture. Continue beating at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Microwave chocolate and shortening in a small resealable plastic bag on high for 30 seconds. Knead bag to mix. If necessary, microwave at additional 10-15-second intervals until melted. Spoon half of lemon filling into pastry shell. Cut a small hole from corner of bag and drizzle half of chocolate over filling. Top with remaining filling. Drizzle remaining chocolate over pie. Chill pie at least 2 hours before serving. Garnish with raspberries, mint and lemon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Lemon Chiffon Pie in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2005, p57
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Tangy Lemon Chiffon Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review