- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash dried oregano
- 1/2 pound catfish or whitefish fillets
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill or 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, garlic, salt and oregano; add fillets. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a shallow bowl, combine cornmeal and flour. Coat fillets with cornmeal mixture. In a skillet, cook fillets in oil and butter for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Meanwhile, for tartar sauce, in a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle, onion and dill. Serve with fish. Yield: 2 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Tangy Lemon Catfish
"Very good flavor. We opted to use store bought tartar sauce for the sake of time but found the fish didn't even need it. I used yellow cornmeal."
"I am not a fan of catfish... but this was so delisous! Just give it a try! You won't regret it!"