Tangy Lamb Tagine Recipe
- 3 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sweet vermouth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in 2 tablespoons oil in batches. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. In the Dutch oven, saute the carrots, onions, garlic and lemon peel in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Add the lemon juice, ginger, cinnamon, cumin and paprika; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add to slow cooker.
- 3. Stir in the broth, vermouth, honey and dates. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until lamb is tender. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 440 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein.
Reviews for Tangy Lamb Tagine
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.