Tangy Franks and Pears
This entree is one of my comfort foods. The combination of sweet fruit flavors and a touch of spicy meat is surprisingly compatible.
-Josephine Laughlin, Norwich, New York
2 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a skillet, saute the potato, onion and celery in butter until
- celery is tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes
- are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 956 calories, 51 g fat (26 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 1,499 mg sodium, 116 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a medium white wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Protea Chenin