“I love grilling chicken because it's a healthier choice,” shares Joe Slate from Port St. Joe, Florida. “I put my 'Joe-style' twist on this sandwich with a spicy-sweet marinade and a homemade blue cheese dressing.”
Recommended: Top 10 Lunch Recipes Under 300 Calories
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced chives
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 onion rolls, split and toasted
- 2 cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips
- 2 slices Colby cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices tomato
- 2 slices red onion
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the first five ingredients to a boil; boil, uncovered, for 1 minute. Cool for 10 minutes; set aside 1/4 cup for basting.
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade from chicken. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink, basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
- In a small bowl, combine the blue cheese, buttermilk, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, chives, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic and pepper. Spread over roll bottoms; top with the chicken, bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion. Replace roll tops. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Chicken Sandwiches in Cooking for 2 Summer 2007, p18
Reviews forTangy Chicken Sandwiches
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2011
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2009
"The marinade is awesome. The chicken is very flavorful. I skip the homemade dressing and opt for store bought blue cheese or ranch dressing to save time."