I had some leftover pineapple and decided to cook it with onion, tomato, soy sauce and a hit of brown sugar. The result was a zesty chunky sauce, ideal for chicken and rice.—Lee Ann Odell, Erie , Colorado
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup canned unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon oil for 5-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add the pineapple, soy sauce, ketchup and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato; simmer 5 minutes longer. Return chicken to the skillet; sprinkle with parsley. cook for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Chicken in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p6
Reviews for Tangy Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review