Tangy Beef and Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cubed
- 4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups each frozen peas and corn
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- Place the potatoes, carrots and onions in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches; place over the vegetables. Sprinkle with flour.
- Dissolve bouillon in boiling water. Stir in the vinegar, ketchup, horseradish, mustard and sugar; pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- Add the peas, corn and mushrooms. Cover and cook on high for 45 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Tangy Beef and Vegetable Stew
Sort By :
This stew just did not do it for our family. It just came out bitter tasting. We love horseradish so I don't think it was that but more likely the combination of the vinegar and the mustard. I ended up adding twice as much sugar and some beef gravy to take away the tart taste and salvage the 4 pounds of stew meat. It's just a matter of taste and I knew the sour flavor just wasn't going to fly with my kids.
I make this stew fairly often during the colder months. It is hands down the best stew you will ever eat!
YUMMY! Very easy, good flavor and it makes a lot. I didn't change a thing. Great recipe.
Best Beef Stew I've ever had. Wouldn't change a thing!
Great, I added some green chilis