Tangy Bean Soup Recipe
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. For dumplings, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff).
- 3. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes (without lifting cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 334 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 774 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Reviews for Tangy Bean Soup
"The soup was OK, kids didn't like it. The cornmeal dumplings were awesome!"