- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff).
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes (without lifting cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Bean Soup in Country April/May 2003, p51
Reviews for Tangy Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 5, 2011
"The soup was OK, kids didn't like it. The cornmeal dumplings were awesome!"