This soup has a great southwestern flavor and is a real winner with my family. I love it because I can have the soup cooking in my crock pot, and when I get home from work, I can quickly make the dumplings and fix dinner in a jiffy.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff).
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto soup. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes (without lifting cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Bean Soup in Country April/May 2003, p51
Reviews for Tangy Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review