Tangy BBQ Sauce
If you can find sugar-free ketchup, use it in this recipe for a great tasting barbecue sauce that fits in sugar-sensitive diets. —Lynn Sawyer of Two Rivers, Wisconsin
20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir
- in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to
- 2-1/2 cups. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 36 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 390 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
Wine: Blush Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.