If you can find sugar-free ketchup, use it in this recipe for a great tasting barbecue sauce that fits in sugar-sensitive diets. —Lynn Sawyer of Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Featured In: 15 Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to 2-1/2 cups. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Tangy Barbecue Sauce in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p33
Enjoy this recipe with a blush wine such as White Zinfandel or a Rosé.
Reviews for Tangy BBQ Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2009
"This is the only barbecue sauce that my family likes now!"