Tangy Basil Bean Salad Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh green or wax beans, trimmed
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1. Cut beans into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with water bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water and drain well. In a bowl, combine the beans, onions, basil, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Romano cheese and toss to coat. Yield: 10 servings.
One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with 2 tablespoons oil) equals 66 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 165 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.