Tangy Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
Every year for our church ice cream social, we'd fill six roaster ovens with these ingredients and let them simmer all day. Boy, did that barbecue smell good. —Janet Sipes, Monmouth, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or
- until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard,
- vinegar and salt; heat through. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Freeze option: Place cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, gently stirring and adding a little water or broth if necessary.