- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Arrange remaining wing pieces in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 30 minutes; drain. Turn wings; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain wings. Place one-third of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: about 2 dozen wings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Tangy Barbecue Wings
"The recipe is a lot of work for what could be so simple. Cut the wings apart, (pitch out the tips), brown the wing pieces in a deep skillet. Pour a mixture of 1 can of coke and 1/4 cup of ketchup and simmer until the mixture cooks down to a sweet barbeque sauce. (About 25 minutes) It's great with no work. Extremely easy for "tail-gating"."
"I skipped the oven and put these right into the crockpot.. Cooked on low for 8 hours. They came out just right! Great find!"
""Soo yummieeei recently found one of best recipe site for all type of chicken recipeshttp://www.reciflix.com/#/category/appetizers/recipes""
"I do this with drumsticks instead of wings because they are so much meatier. I put them in my slow cooker on low and when I come they're done. Also you can vary the type of sauce just the way you want, Sometimes I do Teriyaki, BBQ, Thai peanut sauce, Philippine style adobo, etc . I have time in the morning to prep vegetables to go along with the chicken and that makes dinner a quick breeze."
"These are my go to wings from now on!!!! Delish"