Tangy Barbecue Wings Recipe
- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-1/2 cups ketchup
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Using a sharp knife, cut through the two wing joints; discard wing tips. Arrange remaining wing pieces in two greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake 30 minutes; drain. Turn wings; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain wings. Place one-third of the chicken in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with one-third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: about 2 dozen wings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Tangy Barbecue Wings
Sort By :
"I just made these for a tailgaiting party and they were delicious!! We don't like things too spicy, so I only used 1 cup of the hot and spicy ketchup with 1 1/2 cups of regular ketchup and the flavor was perfect!! A keeper for sure!"
"Good recipe, but I felt there was too much vinegar. I ended up adding double the amount of honey along with 1/4 cup brown sugar. I would definitely make these again, but next time would first cut back on the amount of vinegar. I also used regular ketchup, since I wanted a little more mellow taste."
"I tried this recipe after reading the rave reviews. The flavor was good, but we weren't fans of the texture. My boyfriend described them as "mushy." I may try this again, but cook them in the oven instead of the slow cooker for a crispier result."
"This appetizer dish was fabulous. I made this using party chicken wings and followed the recipe as stated. Everyone was chowing them down. I had a hard time finding the Hot and Spicy Ketchup, but I went online and found that Walmart's sells this type of ketchup. I also was shopping at Market Basket after I had placed my order and found they sell it. They are a little messy to eat, but well worth it. Thanks so much for the great recipe."