Tangy Barbecue Wings Recipe
- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 2-1/2 cups hot and spicy ketchup
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tip sections. Place chicken wings in two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes; drain. Turn wings; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the ketchup, vinegar, honey, molasses, salt, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and chili powder. Add liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes.
- Drain wings; place a third of them in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with about 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers twice. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Stir before serving. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Tangy Barbecue Wings(7)
Sort By :
I just made these for a tailgaiting party and they were delicious!! We don't like things too spicy, so I only used 1 cup of the hot and spicy ketchup with 1 1/2 cups of regular ketchup and the flavor was perfect!! A keeper for sure!
Good recipe, but I felt there was too much vinegar. I ended up adding double the amount of honey along with 1/4 cup brown sugar. I would definitely make these again, but next time would first cut back on the amount of vinegar. I also used regular ketchup, since I wanted a little more mellow taste.
I tried this recipe after reading the rave reviews. The flavor was good, but we weren't fans of the texture. My boyfriend described them as "mushy." I may try this again, but cook them in the oven instead of the slow cooker for a crispier result.
This appetizer dish was fabulous. I made this using party chicken wings and followed the recipe as stated. Everyone was chowing them down. I had a hard time finding the Hot and Spicy Ketchup, but I went online and found that Walmart's sells this type of ketchup. I also was shopping at Market Basket after I had placed my order and found they sell it. They are a little messy to eat, but well worth it. Thanks so much for the great recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baked Chicken >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Chicken Appetizers >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Chicken Wings >
- Father's Day Appetizers >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Hot Appetizer Recipes >
- Hot Finger Food Recipes >
- Low Carb Appetizers >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Meat Appetizers >
- Party Appetizers >
- Potluck Appetizers >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Appetizers >
- Slow Cooker BBQ >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Chicken Wings >
- Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Slow Cooker Wings >
- Super Bowl Party Appetizers >
- Super Bowl Party Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Appetizers >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Winning Appetizers >
- Winning Healthy Recipes >
- Winning Slow Cooker Recipes >