Tangy Baked Meatballs Recipe
These tasty meatballs floating in a thick tangy sauce are a hearty main dish you can make ahead. They are sure to please.—Inez Orsburn, De Motte, Indiana
- 2 cups cubed rye bread
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 pounds ground beef
- 2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 1 bottle (40 ounces) ketchup
- 2 cups crab apple or apple jelly, melted
- 4 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1. Combine the bread cubes and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the next six ingredients; mix well. Crumble meat into bread mixture; stir just until blended. Form into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on four greased racks in four shallow baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine ketchup, jelly and browning sauce if desired; spoon over meatballs. Reduce heat to 325°; cover and bake for 50-60 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 7 to 7-1/2 dozen.
3 each: 329 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 880mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Tangy Baked Meatballs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC