Tangy Baked Beans Recipe
- 2 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8.3 ounces) baked beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the coffee, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Stir in beans and onion.
- 2. Drain bacon on paper towels. Divide the bean mixture between two 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with cooking spray. Top with bacon. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 cup equals 213 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 741 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat.