Tangy Baked Apples Recipe
When the weather turns cooler in fall, these baked apples from my mom are sure to warm you up. Our family enjoys them with turkey, pork…even meat loaf. My husband and I like to add a bit more horseradish for extra zip. —Dee Poppie, Gilman, Illinois
- 3 medium tart apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove cores. Brush with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, butter, horseradish and remaining lemon juice. Top each apple half with 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture. Pour water around apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Baked Apples in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p135
Reviews for Tangy Baked Apples(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 27, 2012
A terriric recipe and way to use up apples in the fall! Love the zing and also, like the author, added a little extra horseradish because we love that stuff!