Tangy Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, wine and coriander. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Do not drain. Cool slightly. Place in blender; cover and process until pureed. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- 2. To make crisps, heat a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons cheese; cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Carefully flip the Parmesan crisp; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove to waxed paper to cool. Repeat.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- 4. Ladle soup into cups; dollop with creme fraiche mixture. Serve with Parmesan crisps. Yield: 7 servings.
1 each: 191 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 606mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Tangy Asparagus Soup
"perfect! absolutely DELICIOUS!"
"This soup was absolutely delicious. I omitted the cream topping and I did not have any corriander to add to the soup. A new favorite!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.