A dollop of creme fraiche makes this pretty soup an ideal starter for an elegant spring dinner party. A cheese crisp on the side is the perfect finishing touch. —Jamie Concannon, Plymouth, California
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, wine and coriander. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Do not drain. Cool slightly. Place in blender; cover and process until pureed. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- To make crisps, heat a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons cheese; cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Carefully flip the Parmesan crisp; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove to waxed paper to cool. Repeat.
- In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Ladle soup into cups; dollop with creme fraiche mixture. Serve with Parmesan crisps. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Asparagus Soup in Taste of Home April/May 2011, p25
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Tangy Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 23, 2011
"perfect! absolutely DELICIOUS!"
Reviewed Mar. 25, 2011
"This soup was absolutely delicious. I omitted the cream topping and I did not have any corriander to add to the soup. A new favorite!"