- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add shallots; cook and stir until tender. Add asparagus; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, wine and coriander. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Do not drain. Cool slightly. Place in blender; cover and process until pureed. Stir in pepper. Keep warm.
- To make crisps, heat a lightly greased small skillet over medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons cheese; cook for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Carefully flip the Parmesan crisp; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove to waxed paper to cool. Repeat.
- In a small bowl, combine the creme fraiche, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Ladle soup into cups; dollop with creme fraiche mixture. Serve with Parmesan crisps. Yield: 7 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Tangy Asparagus Soup
Sort By :
perfect! absolutely DELICIOUS!
This soup was absolutely delicious. I omitted the cream topping and I did not have any corriander to add to the soup. A new favorite!