- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Tangy and Sweet Meatballs
"These are excellent meatballs! My family loves these with mashed potatoes."
"FINALLY!!!! Someone can actually post a recipe that includes the recipe for the meatballs! I haven't tried these yet, but the fact that there's a meatball recipe earns it 5 stars for me. THANK YOU!!! They sound delicious and will give them a try, even if it's for my pleasure at home."
"i love them sooo much! is there any way i can adjust the serving? i want to make some for me but 8 servings is wayyy too much. Can someone please help? these are the only meatballs i will eat."
"These meatballs are freaking AMAZING!!!! They are alwayssss a hit! I make them every chance I get on a holiday and everybody loves them!!!!!"
"Delicious every time, even the kids eat it"
"I make this every New Year's eve, it has become a tradition. Everyone loves them, also great over white rice."
"I love meatballs & am always trying new recipes for them, so it says a lot that this recipe is my all-time favorite! I've made it many times now & it goes great with mashed potatoes. I don't like the mess & time it takes to brown meatballs in the skillet, so I place them on a cookie sheet & bake them at 350 for 20 minutes. Then I drain them on paper towels, place them in a baking dish with the sauce & then only bake them an add'l 20 minutes. They turn out perfect every time! Makes about 35 meatballs, depending on their size."
"We love these meatballs. They are easy to make and are delicious with mashed potatoes."
"I make these several times a year. My family loves them. I always make extra sauce for the mashed potatoes."
"My Dad always made these for every potluck we went to and they were always the first things to go!"