When we entertain friends for Sunday dinner, I frequently serve these tangy meatballs. Everyone loves the distinctive sauce, but they're often surprised to learn it is made with gingernsaps. -Melody Mellinger, Myerstown, Pennsylvania
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Meatballs in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p33
Reviews for Tangy and Sweet Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review