Tangy and Sweet Meatballs Recipe
When we entertain friends for Sunday dinner, I frequently serve these tangy meatballs. Everyone loves the distinctive sauce, but they're often surprised to learn it is made with gingernsaps. -Melody Mellinger, Myerstown, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3-1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 10 gingersnaps, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, onion, bread crumbs and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in batches in oil. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until cookie crumbs are dissolved. Pour over meatballs.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 526 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 155 mg cholesterol, 1,226 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC