Tangerine Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) vanilla yogurt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup diced peeled tangerine
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine peel
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, butter and milk until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in tangerine and peel.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
One muffin (prepared with fat-free yogurt, egg substitute, margarine and skim milk) equals 172 calories, 352 mg sodium, trace cholesterol, 30 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 4 gm fat, 1 gm fiber. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.