Tangerine-Glazed Turkey Recipe
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups tangerine juice
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Remove giblets from turkey; cover and refrigerate for gravy. Pat turkey dry; place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Rub softened butter over turkey.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt cubed butter; stir in oil. Saturate a four-layered 17-in. square of cheesecloth in butter mixture; drape over turkey.
- 3. Add tangerine juice to remaining butter mixture. Bake turkey, uncovered, 3 hours; baste with tangerine juice mixture every 30 minutes, keeping cheesecloth moist at all times.
- 4. Remove and discard cheesecloth. Bake turkey 45 minutes to 1-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- 5. Remove turkey to a serving platter; cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving. Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 1/3 cup. Add enough broth to remaining drippings to measure 4 cups.
- 6. For gravy, chop reserved giblets. In a large saucepan, saute giblets in reserved fat until browned. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14 servings (4 cups gravy).
8 ounces cooked turkey with 1/4 cup gravy equals 684 calories, 39 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 263 mg cholesterol, 359 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 73 g protein.
Reviews for Tangerine-Glazed Turkey
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer