Tangerine Cranberry Sorbet
This is a very easy recipe to prepare and keep in the freezer before a pantry. It's a light and refreshing finish to a heavy holiday meal.
—Pamela Brown, Ingersoll, Ontario
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 3 to 4 medium tangerines
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- In a large saucepan, bring cranberries and water to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife or
- zester, peel outer layer of one tangerine into strips for garnish.
- Toss the strips of peel with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Squeeze
- tangerines to yield 1 cup of juice.
- Place cranberries with liquid in a sieve over a large bowl. Press
- berries to remove juices. Discard pulp. Add the tangerine juice,
- corn syrup and remaining sugar to cranberry juice; stir until sugar
- is dissolved. Pour into a 9-in. square dish. Cover and freeze until
- firm, about 3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before serving. Spoon into dessert
- bowls. Garnish with reserved tangerine peel. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 201 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein.