This side dish is so delicious. The carrots are complimented by the tangerine juice to such a sweet flavor.—Kristine Bodurtha, Endicott, New York
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup tangerine or orange juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated tangerine or grated orange peel
- Place 1 in. of water and carrots in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; blend well.
- Gradually stir in juice and peel. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for
- 2 minutes or until thickened. Return carrots to pan; heat through.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 97 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.