Tamale Veggie Pie Recipe
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl. Drain tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; add tomatoes and juice to onion mixture.
- 2. Stir in the beans, cheese, chilies, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together the egg, yogurt and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece equals 280 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.