Tamale Veggie Pie Recipe
This warm and comforting “pie” has a thick and zippy filling and a moist, tender cornbread topping. An overall hearty dish for the season. Writes Deb Perry from Bluffton, Indiana, “Serve this with a side salad and some fruit for a great meatless meal.”
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl. Drain tomatoes, reserving 2 tablespoons juice; add tomatoes and juice to onion mixture.
- Stir in the beans, cheese, chilies, jalapeno, cumin and chili powder. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together the egg, yogurt and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tamale Veggie Pie in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p59
Reviews for Tamale Veggie Pie(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2012
We LOVE this dish! In fact, I have to double it into a 9x13 pan now because even my pickiest eaters eat it! It is easy to make and oh-so-flavorful. Don't hold back on that jalapeno, though! It's what makes it great!
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >