Tamale Pie Recipe
The amount of spice in this recipe is just right for my family, who prefers things on the mild side. Make it once with these measurements---then spice it up a little more if you like!—Ruth Aden, Polson, Montana
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces each) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomatoes, onion and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed. Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with olives.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 428 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC