Tamale Pie Recipe
The amount of spice in this recipe is just right for my family, who prefers things on the mild side. Make it once with these measurements, then spice it up a little more if you like!—Ruth Aden, Polson, Montana
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces each) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1. In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomatoes, onion and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed. Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with olives.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 428 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Tamale Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC