Tamale Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces each) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomatoes, onion and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed. Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with olives.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Tamale Pie(4)
Sort By :
When I tasted the meat mixture to correct the seasoning, it was very acidic because of all the tomato and the flavor was bland. So I added another TBS of chili powder and 1 tsp more of the garlic powder, and cayenne pepper to taste. I also eliminated the salt. I added a tsp of sugar to cut the acid in the tomatoes, made as directed otherwise and it turned out perfect.
Leaving out the 1//4 tsp salt reduces the sodium content to 254 mg sodium. A big difference. I will try this using corn tortillas.
So simple, but oh so yummy! Add some quac if possible.
My family loved this! It's misnamed, being nothing like a tamale, but I prefer this. I used the frozen tortillas you bake at home, which taste way better than pre-made tortillas. Everyone said they definitely want this again, but would prefer the olives be left out. Added to my recipe box!