The amount of spice in this recipe is just right for my family, who prefers things on the mild side. Make it once with these measurements, then spice it up a little more if you like!—Ruth Aden, Polson, Montana
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 3 cups (12 ounces each) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese or Colby-Jack cheese
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a skillet, brown ground beef; drain. Add tomatoes, onion and spices. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Arrange five tortillas in the bottom of a 13x9-in. baking dish, tearing tortillas as needed. Cover with half of the meat mixture, then half of the cheese. Repeat layers, using remaining tortillas, meat mixture and cheese. Sprinkle with olives.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tamale Pie in Country Ground Beef 1993, p83
Reviews for Tamale Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review