Tamale Bake Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (2-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the corn, tomatoes, milk, cornmeal, chilies, olives, egg whites and taco seasoning until blended.
- 2. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece with 2 tablespoons salsa equals 298 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 806 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.